#1 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:09 AM

Hi guys, welcome to my build,

right I was looking for a nice Mk4R32 and due to my workhorse starting to die on me I had to buy a daily sooner rather then later and just could not find one in time for my budget.

Driving home past the local Vw garage I saw a mk4 5door 2.8 v6 4motion in reflex silver with black leather recaros and full VW service history up for a £2500 so I stopped for a chat and found out it was owned by a retired police officer who had it for the last 5 years and was completely standard and drove like new, so I haggled and shook hands @£2k and just had to pay for an mot and[B] get road tax.

As soon as I got home I sourced a set of genuine R32 bumpers off the bay and some skirts to complete the kit.

Posted Image

this is the day I picked her up from the paint shop prior to having the r32 cat back system fitted

Posted Image

to fit this I needed to buy an extra drivers side hanging bracket for the left side and we had to cut about a foot off the original exhaust and add another clamp.

Posted Image

we also did the mod to keep the silencer flap open for a better sound and nice rasp 

(tap the pic to see a video and hear the exhaust in action)

Posted Image

Obviously I had the kit on and needed the wheels and was not sure what way to go and after much thought I decided I wanted either a genuine set of R32 wheels or a nice set of bbs (loving the ch and neally bought a set when the R spokies came up) in the end I bought the standar R rims as it would finish off the look.

#2 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:23 AM

Posted Image

after I had decided on wheels I needed tyres and got a good deal on 4 brand new Avon tyres, and got hold of a nice set of R centres.

Posted Image

#3 mbgti01

mbgti01

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2749 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 03:46 AM

Saw the video of you messing in the snow :) looks fun :) is there a mk5 r32 in the back covered in snow ? 

#4 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 04:05 AM

Saw the video of you messing in the snow :) looks fun :) is there a mk5 r32 in the back covered in snow ? 

Yeah not mine tho lol maybe next year

#5 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 05:40 AM

The mods so far are the genuine R32 bumpers

Posted Image

skirts plus paint and cosmetic work, genuine R32 wheels and Avon tyres

Posted Image

r32 cat back exhaust

Posted Image

ive fitted the r pedals apart from the clutch pedal if anyone's got one please pm me as some b£&tard off eBay took £40 for it and says he sent it twice both times unrecorded and never arrived once- never pay on paypal with the gift option as I learnt the hard way llol

Posted Image

ive added an R s elector too 

Posted Image

over all how it's looking today albeit a little dirty [:)]

I have bought off a fellow member a set of stubby heated electric mirrors in reflex silver and am looking forward to getting them on although there on Polo base plates.

i have also bought a black grill but not sure whether or not to leave it on or go back to silver

Posted Image

your opinions please?

#6 stobo91

stobo91

Still a newbie

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5822 posts
  • Chesterfield, Derbyshire
  • -------

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:02 AM

Imo black grill on silver mk4's looks awesome [y]

#7 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:09 AM

Imo black grill on silver mk4's looks awesome Yes

Nice I 

#8 jcbed

jcbed

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 04 February 2013 - 06:14 AM

ive just done a black drill on my reflex silver . it grows on you in time i think

#9 toxicredcat

toxicredcat

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 74 posts
  • Lincs
  • Golf IV R32 3.2 240PS

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:51 AM

Definitely keep the black grill

#10 danpalmer1993

danpalmer1993

Ask me about "RS8" wheels!

• Moderators
  • 10648 posts
  • Golf IV 1.6 16v BCB 105PS

Posted 04 February 2013 - 10:55 AM

Looks much better imo [Y] Breaks up the silver [:)]

#11 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 05 February 2013 - 01:28 PM

Got some polo mirrors so need to break them down and rebuild them on the golf base plates, not looking forward to fitting them but can't wait to get them on

Posted Image 

I have the old mirrors if anyone wants them dop me a pm they are heated blue tinted electric in bits ready to fit

#12 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 02:40 PM

The black grill is defiantly growing on me think I'm gonna take out all the bumper grills and gloss black the lower grills in the bumper and i want to move the number plate too what you recon?

Fitted the mirrors tonight ill get a pic on tomorrow in the daylight

#13 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 06 February 2013 - 03:45 PM

ive just done a black drill on my reflex silver . it grows on you in time i think

definatly growing on me [:D]

#14 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 01:20 PM

As promised here's a few pics of the new mirrors on the little golf

Posted Image

Posted Image

i am really please with them to be fair what you boys think

#15 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:14 PM

Cleaned my exhaust today with the dremel tool and used a wire brush attachment and buffed it with the polishing attachment and used a bit of autosol and a cloth to wipe it off with.

before 

Posted Image

Posted Image

after

Posted Image

Posted Image

Mint result

i made the mistake of doing after the clean and then had to clean the bumper carefully as I should imagine rubbing it into your paint work with a cloths not gonna do you any favours, so next time it will be step one on the detailing list

#16 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:35 PM

I've been busy today and made the most of a quiet day, whilst cleaning the car I decided to take the lower bumper grills out and give them a clean as you can never get then nice with the back to black and also look so dull

i didn't take any before shots as it was kind of an in the moment thing,

Posted Image

they were easy to get out as you release 3 clips of the top of the outer grills by putting your hand under the bumper and the middles one has some little spring steel clips to hold it in place and once you've knocked these off with a s receiver it pulls towards you and helps to keep it square when you pull it out as its quite snug and could imagine easy to snap if to much pressure is applied.

Posted Image

fisrt I clear with fairy liquid as this is a pukka degreaser and I would never use it on the car but as they were off and I had a drying booth set up I decided it was the best way forward.

once they were dry I decided to paint them and poped to halfords as its like 500yards from where I work, I got a plastic primer, a can of black gloss and a can of laquor.

Posted Image

A couple of coats of plastic grey primer, I did several coats of primer from different direction to makes sure everywhere got plenty of paint

Posted Image

the first coat of black gloss going on

I did 3/4 light coats of the black gloss as I did not want any runs in the paint and again did it from all angles to make sure I never missed anywhere, followed by a good few coats of laquor to finish it off.

I started it first thing in the morning and had the first coat on by 930 and baked inbetween each coat in my make ship spray over booth.

Posted Image

i decided after a trial fit of one of the vents I would be rushing it and not end up with the finish I was after if i left them over night to cure, as I could imagine stones chipping the soft paint and them looking rubbish in no time so I did the sensible thing and drove home grilless llol sneak preview for now and ill put a proper shot on tomorrow in daylight.

Posted Image

#17 Bullit

Bullit

Padawan

• Full Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1173 posts
  • Bora SE 1.6 8v APF 100PS

Posted 07 February 2013 - 04:45 PM

Looking really nice and clean! Great work in that exhaust tips!

#18 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:33 AM

Looking really nice and clean! Great work in that exhaust tips!

Cheers mate ill get a couple of pics up later with the shiny black bumper grills in.

#19 Markaz

Markaz

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2219 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 03:48 AM

Nice car and really smart - not sure if I'd have an R32 badge on a non R32 car but thats just me!

#20 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:21 PM

As promised here's a couple of photos of the gloss black grills on

Posted Image

Posted Image

#21 JackL15

JackL15

Can normally be found on the A3.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:34 PM

Great build mate car is looking great [Y] Those plates need to go though [;)]

#22 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:49 PM

Great build mate car is looking great Yes Those plates need to go though Wink

Do you mean get some pressed plates or lose the reg number.

also I do plan to loose the number plate surround and hang the plate off the lower grill, I know its not an original idea but I just need to mover the front plate down and sort the stance out Nd that will be the out side done.

#23 JackL15

JackL15

Can normally be found on the A3.

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3317 posts
  • Surrey
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS

Posted 08 February 2013 - 12:54 PM

Great build mate car is looking great Yes Those plates need to go though Wink

Do you mean get some pressed plates or lose the reg number.

also I do plan to loose the number plate surround and hang the plate off the lower grill, I know its not an original idea but I just need to mover the front plate down and sort the stance out Nd that will be the out side done.

I would go for some pressed plates, gives it a really clean look. Personally I would leave it where it is [:)]

#24 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 08 February 2013 - 01:18 PM

Yeah pressed plates are on the cards, and if I got the idea out my head to move the plate down then would free some cash up for other plans I suppose.

#25 Smarter-carper

Smarter-carper

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 195 posts

Posted 10 February 2013 - 11:02 AM

I'm gonna give her a good clean and do a few current pics of how she's looking now,

next I think I'm gonna decat her and get some spacers or should I drop her before buying spacers ???

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.