UK Golf Mk7's being delivered without LED DRL's in the Bi-Xenon option - MkVII (MK7) Golf and Jetta - uk-mkivs

Photo

UK Golf Mk7's being delivered without LED DRL's in the Bi-Xenon option

• Please log in to reply
63 replies to this topic

#1 JohnV

JohnV

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:01 PM

Bi-xenon option with Halogen DRL's not the LED variety:

I've read on a couple of other forums that early UK customers have been picking up their mk VII's with the bi-xenon option and they're NOT equipped with the U-shaped LED DRL's as per the TV adverts, marketing material, Golf brochures, etc, etc. You can imagine, there's a growing number of upset customers on delivery day and thinking, huh? Did I order that? Instead, you get rather ungainly chrome surrounds on the inner lamps.

It looks and feels like another shabby short-changing effort by VW on UK customers. I mean, what the h*ll? Why heavily market a product with a specific feature and then not deliver?

After posting a message to VW UK and enduring a deadly silience, I've had to resort to demanding a straight answer from my dealer. I'd recently placed an order with that exact same option and I'm pretty close to pulling the plug. If anyone else is contemplating a Mk VII with bi-xenon's & LED DRL's for safety and the cool aesthetics, then proceed with caution until someone gives a straight answer.

#2 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:10 PM

[:o] I'd be more than unhappy if I got a car that wasn't what i ordered. When did you contact VW ?

(ps welcome )

Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#3 JohnV

JohnV

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 12 February 2013 - 02:22 PM

It's been 3 days and counting for VW UK (Milton Keynes I presume) to respond.

My dealer phoned today to reassure that he'll call them for an answer.

Isn't this just a crying shame? What are they doing? Using up the last gas-discharge units left over from the Mk 6 production run?

Damian, my current MK 6 GT is almost the same as yours, pearl black + vancouvers, except mine's a TDi. I was looking to update after 3+ years and 55,000 miles.

#4 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 12 February 2013 - 04:27 PM

Your dealer / salesperson should have told you at the time you placed the order they are not the version the UK would be getting initially something to do with Type Approval but the marketing people will always show the best possible .

You will notice the option details only shows 'Daylight running lights ' not LED daylight running lights. So I suspect you are probably going to hit a brick wall unfortunately.

I suspect the ones you see in Ads are the more expensive ' Dynamic Bi-Xenons ' option available in some markets.

#5 JohnV

JohnV

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 13 February 2013 - 11:54 AM

Personally I don't think anyone of them had a clue as it's the latest model and they have so little experience with them, so they couldn't offer any advice. I guess they're pretty much satisfied in clocking up another sale and moving on to the next naive punter.

If anyone takes a look of the latest Golf Mk7 price list brochure, you'll notice on page 10 (Factory Fitted Options) there's the B-xenon photograph displaying one of the key style features of the latest Golf incarnation and that's the U-shaped LED DRL's. I really had quite an intense dislike to the standard halogen DRL's on my Mk 6, so I switched them off after just 2 days post delivery but the Mk 7 DRL's are markedly more attractive and nicely intense for genuine day-time awareness.

You have to wonder how many laws are being broken (inadvertent or not) regarding Advertising Standards or Sale of Goods Act (once the vehicle has been delivered). If they're not shipping them to the UK then STOP running the TV commercials and glossy adverts with the LED's attached.

Anyway, this afternoon I'd received a call from VW UK. A gentleman with an Asian accent informed me that the bi-xenon option was compatible with the High-beam Assist (that was my second query) - ok, that's good. I asked him about the LED DRL's and he repeated "yes, the xenon's have DRL's". I repeated the question and the same convoluted response. Arrgggh! It's like pulling teeth. Not heard anything back from dealer yet but I'm not optimistic on their reply as you're probably right.

I'm inclined to give up for now and cancel the order till later in the year as there's another potential new Golf feature we may yet see. Always figured it was stupid to be an early adopter, afterall I'd waited over year before purchasing my MK 6 and hoping that they'd ironed out all of the glitches (noisy water pumps on the early models, etc).

#6 lucamag

lucamag

Just grazing

• Full Members
  • PipPip
  • 364 posts
  • Barton-Upon-Humber, Lincolnshire
  • Golf V GTI 2.0 200PS DSG

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

That really is a shame - I liked the "U'" shaped LED DRL's on the MK7, it was something I was thinking of ordering on my own MK7 when I am due a new car later in the year.  Our company pool car has standard halogen lights so I had nothing to compare it to.

If I had ordered, thinking that I was getting LED DRL's, I would be most unhappy.

GTI%20Sig_zpsoju2l3oo.jpg

Golf MKV GTI 200PS DSG - Xenon's, Sunroof, Heated Leather, MFD2 Nav, Cruise, Highline MFD,

Rear Park Sensors, 6 CD Changer, Electric Mirrors @lmagnocavallo

#7 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 13 February 2013 - 12:47 PM

John, sorry I missed your reply ( joys of a day job ).. My car has similar mileage ( approaching 59000 ). Mine is a company car so the decision to change, whilst influenced by me ) is out of my hands but I would still cancel an order that I knew wasn't what I wanted.

Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#8 JohnV

JohnV

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:03 PM

The forum editor changed "U"-shaped to You-shaped. Should've used quotes or clicked off the editor

#9 J400uk

J400uk

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 13 February 2013 - 02:07 PM

You are quite right that VW UK have mis-advertised these. The LED DRLs aren't the only omission either as there has been quite a large number of issues surrounding the spec and availability of certain options. Appears to have been a lapse in communication between Milton Keynes and Wolfsburg....

2015 GTD DSG

#10 Dazzy01

Dazzy01

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

So i've spent £785 thinking i was getting DLR's... expected delivery date 1 week march.  I wonder if i can cancel the order

#11 Dazzy01

Dazzy01

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:49 AM

The white Mk7 above in the pic is  left hooker not a UK car... does anyone have any pictures with a UK car that has the bi-xenons and normal DLR's ? 

#12 Mk5Dom

Mk5Dom

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 09:59 AM

Sorry to hear this mate, sounds like a right PITA. Let us know the outcome.

#13 MrMk5

MrMk5

Padawan

• New Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 1221 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:06 AM

I wish VW would shed some light on the issue.

#14 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 14 February 2013 - 10:45 AM

I wouldn't accept the car unless it had those awesome LED DRLs..

What a bunch of Joffers.

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#15 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

So i've spent £785 thinking i was getting DLR's... expected delivery date 1 week march.  I wonder if i can cancel the order

I should think yes you could cancel your order, probably loose your deposit , unless the dealer was sympathetic.

I'm sure they will easily sell it unless you have a unpopular colour / spec...

#16 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:50 AM

The white Mk7 above in the pic is  left hooker not a UK car... does anyone have any pictures with a UK car that has the bi-xenons and normal DLR's ? 

If you mean LED DRLs  with bi-xenons probably none in the country.

Otherwise DRLs  with  bi- xenons  will be the same as the left hand drive in the picture I would have thought .

#17 celtcr1988

celtcr1988

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:51 AM

Wonder if the new Seat Leon will have the same issues?

#18 JohnV

JohnV

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:53 AM

Here's a recently delivered UK spec GT with bi-xenon's and halogen DRL's (hope the attachment works).

#19 Med3

Med3

Just grazing

• New Members
  • PipPip
  • 894 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 11:58 AM

They look the same in the left hand drive as the right hand drive by those pics.

#20 JohnV

JohnV

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 14 February 2013 - 12:04 PM

UPDATE:

My dealer phoned to confirm that current UK spec Golf's will NOT have the LED DRL's if customers s elect the bi-xenon option. You'd receive the chrome-surround variety with the inner lamps containing ordinary halogen DRL's.

He said that he had a long conversation with VW UK before he finally got to the bottom of this. He's now in a difficult position whereby he has to contact each customer that's specced xenon's and inform of the mis-advertisement. Also said that the current brochures will probably have to be pulled and replaced. For existing customers that already have their orders being built or shipped, VW UK would more than likely be "flexible" on the current xenon option, suggesting they'd be free of charge. Personally I think a customer would have to kick up a stink before they deduct 785 notes.

Disappointed to say the least.

#21 J400uk

J400uk

Hang on like this MKIV thing

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 2060 posts
  • Other Models

Posted 14 February 2013 - 03:28 PM

I think if they refund the option cost so you effectively have a free upgrade to xenons (albeit with halogen DRLs) then it's a fair outcome.

Wonder if the new Seat Leon will have the same issues?

No as the Leon gets proper full LED headlights and DRLs over and above the combo xenon/ LEDs the Golf was supposed to get.

2015 GTD DSG

#22 Dazzy01

Dazzy01

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 14 February 2013 - 05:05 PM

It's a cheap shot by VW...  i wonder if you can switch of the halogen DLR's...!!!

#23 JohnV

JohnV

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 16 February 2013 - 01:37 AM

Just out of interest, also asked the dealer whether the LED DRL's can/would be retro-fitted later on when they're available in the UK. The response was "no chance". Yeah, I knew it was a million to one shot but still stupid enough to ask. Product recalls are about as close as retro-fitting gets for automotive manufacturers, i.e. faulty or dangerous components but certainly not for falsely advertised options.

It's annoying that the TV commercials for the latest Golf are still running with the LED's. I was watching the latest season of Walking Dead on Fox last night and the final commercial in the first advert segment advetised a smart looking Mk 7 with the camera slowly panning across the front snout of the car, emphasising the bi-xenon's and especially the LED DRL's. Laughable. No one can buy THAT car. How many thousands of UK customers are going to get hood-winked into buying that option. I foresee either lot's of freebies or legal action to placate the unfortunate customers. Maybe it'll be available later this year but who knows with VW UK. They move at a glacial pace.

#24 damianmkv

damianmkv

billy no mates

• Moderators
  • 15985 posts
  • -------

Posted 16 February 2013 - 02:11 AM

I saw an ad last night too - might have been on c4. About Time VW pulled the ads I'd have thought ? Or atleast put a disclaimer on them saying the car in the ad isn't uk spec

Mk7.5R and Mk7.5 GTi PP

my flickr

#25 golfmkv89

golfmkv89

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 32 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 08:41 AM

that's very strange how VW UK is acting since the LED design is one of the most striking thing when you see an mk7 in the rearview mirror.. most probably the LED Bi-Xenon Headlights will be announced at a later date, but till then try providing the PR code "PXB" when ordering and see what will come up on their order form..

in Cyprus we can choose between LED Bi-Xenons and non LED Bi-Xenons, at the price difference of 430.

Posted Image

#26 Gordon A

Gordon A

• New Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:41 PM

Got a full refund of the £785, so maybe a blasé about the whole thing!   Yes, when the car turned up last month without what I thought I'd paid for, I wasn't happy.  Refund offered: that'll do for me, thank you!

Having the xenon lights at night for something I can see - i.e. in  the dark! - far outweighs the fact that the DRLs aren't quite what I thought they'd be just for others to see.

#27 tolucophoto

tolucophoto

Northern Tom

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3768 posts
  • Leeds, UK
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 16 February 2013 - 03:56 PM

So the halogen DRLs just look like you have your side lights on? Lame.
I wonder if, when they finally release the LED version, you will be able to buy they as a separate part and fit them yourself? If you were going to pay £800 for the option it might be a possibility.

36884717591_d1651c4e8c_o.jpg
FOR SALE: Awesome GTI rocker breather hoses. PM me.

#28 xJay1337

xJay1337

King Dogger

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13907 posts
  • On a very important international business meeting
  • Scirocco Models

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:36 AM

From the OP it looks like they are not regular "yellow" colour?

Failing that just put some LED bulbs in if they are.

30076295763_fc662d2913_o_d.jpg

wow. such race-car ^^ very click ^^  so diesel much mpg  

#29 tolucophoto

tolucophoto

Northern Tom

• Full Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 3768 posts
  • Leeds, UK
  • Golf IV GTI 1.8T 20v AUM 150PS

Posted 17 February 2013 - 11:43 AM

If the OP photo shows the non-LED DRLs, then they look just like side lights.
The LED DRLs are a lot different. A 'U' shape strip round the main projector:

The non-LED lights will look boring compared imo.

36884717591_d1651c4e8c_o.jpg
FOR SALE: Awesome GTI rocker breather hoses. PM me.

#30 JohnV

JohnV

• Full Members
  • Pip
  • 40 posts
  • MKI Models

Posted 18 February 2013 - 12:07 PM

GREAT NEWS!

Latest dealer update: Bi-Xenon's with LED option available approx Build Week 22 (mid-May?). Just as with the continental offers, it'll probably be 400 quid in addition to xenon price. Pretty much same as option PXB & PXD shown on goldmkv89's reply (cheers for the list from Cyprus). I suspect that a number of currently unavailable options will also be available at the same time, such as the heated front windscreen, etc.

I've suspended my Mk7 order till then and left the deposit on customer file with the dealer. It's a shame that it took so much digging to get the confusion resolved but still well worth waiting till the summer. Maybe August/September delivery? Had to wait 5 months for my Mk6, so perhaps over optimistic.

uk-mkivs.net is an independent Volkswagen enthusiast website owned and operated by VerticalScope Inc. Content on uk-mkivs.net is generated by its users. uk-mkivs.net is not in any way affiliated with Volkswagen AG.